Department Vision, Mission & Goals | Citizen's Guide to Community Development
Community Development will advance Albemarle County's recognition as a leader in providing an exceptional quality of life, creating a sustainable community, and protecting natural resources.
Community Development is the County's steward for natural resources and the built environment. As that steward, we will:
- Develop County ordinances and polices that support the County's vision,
- Communicate with the entire community on the development and administration of ordinances and policies,
- Enforce County ordinances and policies in a fair and consistent manner, and
- Improve our professional expertise of staff through ongoing professional development.
Strategic Plan Goals
1. Community Development will assures ordinances are fairly and consistently enforced by:
- Providing detailed guidance on applications and processes to the community, and
- Improving consistency and compliance through the establishment of standard operating procedures and assuring those procedures are used.
2. Community Development will promote "open government" by:
- Accurately documenting and sharing our work with the community in a timely manner, and
- Assisting the entire community in understanding ordinances and policies through publications using a variety of media and community outreach.
3. Community Development will assist in the development of policy by:
- Having the decision makers endorse our work program and processes when starting new initiatives,
- Ensuring the community understand the processes and schedule,
- Assuring the viewpoints of the affected community are part of policy considerations,
- Applying our full professional knowledge and expertise to policy initiatives.
4. Community Development will continuously improves the expertise of our staff by:
- Assuring training and professional development opportunities are available to improve the expertise and quality of service for all staff,
- Communicating with our peer organizations to assure Community Development is always seeking better ways of doing work and sharing our expertise, and
- Providing a positive work environment that encourages staff to bring forward ideas and changes that will improve Community Development.