Project Management Division  |  Courts Project History
brown-horizontal-line
PROJECT OVERVIEW MAJOR MILESTONES HISTORY: 2011-2018

Courthouses have served as community centers and commercial hubs in Virginia localities for centuries. Our County’s Circuit, General District, and Juvenile and Domestic Relations courts are no different in that they have operated within and among the buildings in Court Square since 1762. But as our population continued to grow and the courts’ caseload increased, it became clear to Albemarle County’s Board of Supervisors that the facilities and the security they provided were inadequate to meet the needs of our community.

The County began considering the question of expansion and renovation of the Circuit and General District Courts in 1999. Since that time, multiple options were considered that would maintain the safe and efficient operation of the courts while providing for increased security; satisfying current and future courts’ capacity needs; and ensuring persons working in and using the County Courts could easily access the facilities. Respecting the fundamental role that the court system plays in our community, the County’s Board of Supervisors was actively engaged in determining the best option to address the challenges facing our courts while providing the best value for County taxpayers.

In January 2018, County and City staff engaged in the latest in a series of negotiations that resulted in a joint County/City agreement. This agreement allows the Albemarle County General District and Circuit Courts to remain downtown in the Court Square area and was approved by the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors on December 17, 2018.

A complete timeline of all major activities and decisions related to the courts expansion project is available in the Major Milestones section of this site, including links to relevant materials.

 

 


 


 
 
 
Contact the Department
Project Management Division
401 McIntire Road
Room 420
Charlottesville, VA 22902
434-872-4501
FAX: 434-293-0294
Email the Department