All roads or driveways that serve 3 or more addressable structures need to have a road name. A private road or driveway will receive a road name when a 3rd addressable structure is built. The owners of all property served by the access must be involved in the road naming process.
Here are some guidelines for choosing a road name:
1. The new road name cannot duplicate an existing Albemarle or Charlottesville road name. You can find a list of existing road names here.
2. A road name cannot exceed more than 16 characters, including spaces.
3. No compass points, such as NORTH or EAST.
4. A road name cannot begin with the same word/phrase that 5 or more other road names also begin with. Reference: Road Name Index
5. If a new road continues across an intersection from an existing road, it will use the same name. If the new road is offset more than 60 feet from the existing road, then it will need a new/different road name.