Food Benefit Replacement for Participating Households
Albemarle County households may request a replacement for food that was purchased with SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly the Food Stamp Program) benefits and was subsequently destroyed in a household disaster.
The household may be entitled to a replacement. Important factors regarding a benefit replacement include:
• The power outage was at least four hours in duration and;
• The loss amount of food purchased with SNAP may not exceed the benefit amount for one month and;
• The DSS (Department of Social Services) must verify the household's disaster. Please allow DSS sufficient time to complete this process.
If you’ve suffered a loss of food purchased with SNAP and your power was out for at least four hours, you should:
• Contact Albemarle DSS at 434-972-4010 to request a Food Replacement form be mailed to you or you may pick one up at the agency or access it on line at the County of Albemarle website and;
• Sign the Food Replacement Request form attesting to the loss and return it to Albemarle DSS within 10 days of the reported loss.
In order to quickly serve our customers, we are requesting the Food Replacement form to be returned by July 15th. Benefits replacements will be processed as quickly as possible.
Return to Newsroom