COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
FY 2010 Budget Amendment
Public Hearing on the Proposed FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $3,229,119.30 and request approval of Appropriations #2010009, #2010010, #2010011, #2010012, #1010013, #2010014, #2010015, #2010016, and #2010017 to provide funding for various local government and school programs.
Messrs. Tucker, Foley, Davis, Wiggans
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
August 5, 2009
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
Virginia Code § 15.2-2507 stipulates that any locality may amend its budget to adjust the aggregate amount to be appropriated during the fiscal year as shown in the currently adopted budget; provided, however, any such amendment which exceeds one percent of the total expenditures shown in the currently adopted budget must be accomplished by first publishing a notice of a meeting and holding a public hearing before amending the budget. The Code section applies to all County funds, i.e., General Fund, Capital Funds, E911, School Self-Sustaining, etc.
The total of the new requested FY 2010 appropriations, itemized below, is $3,229,119.30. Because the cumulative amount of the appropriations exceeds one percent of the currently adopted budget, a budget amendment public hearing is required.
Goal 5: Develop a comprehensive funding strategy/plan to address the County’s growing needs.
The proposed increase of this FY 2010 Budget Amendment totals $3,229,119.30. The estimated expenses and revenues included in the proposed amendment are shown below:
Special Revenue Funds $ 54,291.00
School Fund $ 212,809.00
School Program Funds $ 2,555,839.90
ECC $ 100,000.00
Commission on Children & Families $ 31,381.00
Capital Projects $ 274,798.40
TOTAL ESTIMATED EXPENDITURES – All Funds $ 3,229,119.30
Local Revenues (Contributions, Other) $ 6,536.00
State Revenue $ 2,459,701.00
Federal Revenue $ 130,274.90
Other Fund Balances $ 632,607.40
TOTAL ESTIMATED REVENUES – All Funds $ 3,229,119.30
The budget amendment is comprised of nine (9) new appropriations as follows:
· One (1) appropriation (#2010009) providing $550.00 for a Police Department grant;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010010) totaling $8,741.00 for the Circuit Court Clerk Preservation Grant;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010011) to carry forward $274,798.40 in capital project funds for the Rte. 250/Westminster Canterbury sidewalk project;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010012) totaling $100,000.00 for the ECC building security system;
· Two (2) appropriations (#2010013 and #2010014) totaling $2,768,648.90 for Education donations/programs;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010015) totaling $31,381.00 for miscellaneous grants for CCF;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010016) totaling $18,462.00 for lighting upgrades at Greer Elementary School; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2010017) totaling $45,000.00 to reimburse VDoT for all costs associated with the acquisition of right-of-way/construction easements for improvements to Route 29.
A detailed description of these requests is provided on Attachment A.
Staff recommends approval of the FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $3,229,119.30 after the public hearing, and then approval of Appropriations #2010009, #2010010, #2010011, #2010012, #1010013, #2010014, #2010015, #2010016, and #2010017 to provide funds for various local government and school projects and programs as described in Attachment A.
Attachment A – Description of Appropriations
Return to regular agenda