COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Take a minute to share your thoughts about Albemarle County Boards and Commissions
|Board/Commission Name||Village of Rivanna Community Advisory Committee|
|Introduction/Overview/Duties||The Advisory Committees will provide assistance, feedback and input to County staff and the Board of Supervisors on community and county efforts related to implementation and support of the adopted Master Plan, in accordance with established county procedures. Advisory Committee members will communicate with their constituencies to increase understanding of and support for successful implementation of the Master Plan. The membership is broad-based to incorporate a variety of perspectives and ideas and to provide citizens, business people, and representatives of community groups a chance to be engaged and to be heard in a constructive and meaningful way.
The Committees will be a catalyst for helping foster a sense of community and work towards effective and efficient Master Plan implementation. Committees are a venue to discuss and provide comments on program and policy questions and/or proposals. Community Advisory Committees are an important venue for discussion and Committees can provide feedback and indicate preferences related to development proposals, although Committees do not have a legislative role in the development process.
1.Serve as liaisons
2. Gather input from constituencies represented and bring these issues to the attention of staff and the Committee, and distribute information from the Committee back to constituents.
3. Stimulate creative thinking in examining implementation issues and identify ways of using community resources to meet implementation needs and challenges.
4. Provide advisory input, comments, and information to the Board of Supervisors on new and emerging policies, projects, and programs as requested.
5. Maintain a forward-looking agenda with respect to adopted Master Plans and policies of the Board of Supervisors. Committee meetings are not the appropriate venue to oppose adopted policy.
6. Commit to support and work to implement the adopted Master Plan.
7. Work with Staff to provide an annual report of activities to the Board of Supervisors in accordance with the Board of Supervisors’ adopted Rules of Procedure for Boards and Commissions.
|Length of Term||Members will be appointed for either a 2 or 3 year term to stagger the transition of new members on and off the committee. Members may serve two consecutive terms. After initial appointments, terms will be for 2 years.|
|Frequency/Times for Meetings||All Committees will meet together as a group annually to focus on issues of common interest to development area communities and individual committees will meet several more times during the year as needed based on master plan implementation activity.|
|Membership||The Board of Supervisors shall appoint 10 members to the Committee with geographically diverse representation from the following: Residents of the Glenmore community (3) Residents of the Village of Rivanna outside Glenmore (3) Business community (2) Other potential community representatives (2) ensuring a balance between community and business representatives. There shall also be a Planning Commission liaison appointed to the committee who will attend meetings, report back to the Commission at its regular meetings with a synopsis of the Committee’s meetings/activities, as appropriate. The liaison, along with other Commissioners, may identify agenda items or updates that should be provided to the Committee and the greater Master Plan area. To the extent that County planning staff is available, staff will coordinate all staff support to the Advisory Committee, ensure meeting supplies, print and copy agenda and meeting materials.|
|Qualifications||1.Serve as liaisons by:
1) contributing to public understanding of and encouraging support for Master Plan implementation
2) keeping the community informed of the needs, purposes, and progress of Master Plan implementation
3) encouraging interest and participation in community and county efforts related to the Master Plan and participation in public meetings
and 4). enhancing collaboration among all community stakeholders. 2.Gather input from constituencies represented and bring these issues to the attention of staff and the Council, and distribute information from the council back to constituents. 3.Stimulate creative thinking in examining implementation issues and identify ways of using community resources to meet implementation needs and challenges. 4.Provide information to the Board of Supervisors as requested. Members should also be willing to: Familiarize themselves with the Vision and Implementation Plan of the Master Plan and work in coordination with County staff to provide input on Master Plan implementation. Act on the basis of information and understanding. Focus their efforts strategically to achieve the greatest possible contributions. Strive to achieve a consensus on actions/recommendations that are important to Master Plan implementation. Comment as a committee constructively and with appropriate suggestions and offers of help. Work toward benefiting Master Plan implementation rather than special needs or interests. Accept responsibility for the success of the Advisory Council by contributing appropriate time and energy.
|County Members/Term Expiration||Sterling Proffitt, Term Expires 3-31-19
VACANT, Term Expires 3-31-20
Tim Novak, Term Expires 3-31-20
VACANT, Term Expires 3-31-20
Annette Couch-Jareb, Term Expires 3-31-19
Dottie Martin, Term Expires 3-31-18
Ginna Kelly, Term Expires 3-31-19
VACANT, Term Expires 3-31-19
Ann Harrod, Term Expires 3-31-19
Lynda White, Term Expires 3-31-20
Pam Riley, PC Liaison
Rick Randolph, Board Liaison - Term Expires 12-31-2018
|Web site for more information||N/A|
Apply for this Board or Commission
Return to Boards & Commissions Page
Return to Board of Supervisors Page