COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Take a minute to share your thoughts about Albemarle County Boards and Commissions
|Board/Commission Name||Places 29 (NORTH) Community Advisory Committee|
|Introduction/Overview/Duties||The Advisory Committees will provide assistance, feedback and input to County staff and the Board of Supervisors on community and county efforts related to implementation and support of the adopted Master Plan, in accordance with established county procedures. Advisory Committee members will communicate with their constituencies to increase understanding of and support for successful implementation of the Master Plan. The membership is broad-based to incorporate a variety of perspectives and ideas and to provide citizens, business people, and representatives of community groups a chance to be engaged and to be heard in a constructive and meaningful way.
The Committees will be a catalyst for helping foster a sense of community and work towards effective and efficient Master Plan implementation. Committees are a venue to discuss and provide comments on program and policy questions and/or proposals. Community Advisory Committees are an important venue for discussion and Committees can provide feedback and indicate preferences related to development proposals, although Committees do not have a legislative role in the development process.
1.Serve as liaisons
2. Gather input from constituencies represented and bring these issues to the attention of staff and the Committee, and distribute information from the Committee back to constituents.
3. Stimulate creative thinking in examining implementation issues and identify ways of using community resources to meet implementation needs and challenges.
4. Provide advisory input, comments, and information to the Board of Supervisors on new and emerging policies, projects, and programs as requested.
5. Maintain a forward-looking agenda with respect to adopted Master Plans and policies of the Board of Supervisors. Committee meetings are not the appropriate venue to oppose adopted policy.
6. Commit to support and work to implement the adopted Master Plan.
7. Work with Staff to provide an annual report of activities to the Board of Supervisors in accordance with the Board of Supervisors’ adopted Rules of Procedure for Boards and Commissions.
|Length of Term||Members will be appointed for either a 2 or 3 year term to stagger the transition of new members on and off the council. After initial appointments, terms will be for 2 years. While Members will be generally expected to serve no more than 2 terms, additional terms may be considered if desired and if the Board of Supervisors deems appropriate.|
|Frequency/Times for Meetings||To be determined|
|Membership||The Board of Supervisors shall appoint eleven members to the Committee.|
|Qualifications||Each member shall be a resident or business owner in Albemarle County. For all representatives, the member’s home or business shall be located within their appointed sub-Committee’s geographic area. An individual may not serve on more than one sub-Committee.
Places 29 North shall have members along the following representations:
Large Neighborhood (2)
Small Neighborhood (1)
Development Community (1)
Business Community (2)
School Community – staff, school board, PTO member (1)
Office/R&D/Flex/Light Industrial or Heavy Industrial (2)
Urban Mixed Use (1)
Other – RSWA, RWSA, CHO Board, non-profit or community group with a focus on open space, water resources, transit, etc. (1)
|County Members/Term Expiration||Large Neighborhood - Chris Scharnbeck, Term expires 8/5/2017
Large Neighborhood - Benjamin Ledford, Term expires 8/5/2017
Small Neighborhood - Jerrod Smith, Term expires 8/5/2019
Development Community - Craig Kotaski, Term expires 8/5/2017
Business Community - Fred Hudson, Term expires 8/5/2017
Business Community - David Mitchell, Term expires 8/5/2018
School Community - Christina Weaver, Term expires 8/5/2019
Office/R&D/Flex/Light Industrial or Heavy Industrial - Nena Harrell, Term expires 8/5/2018
Office/R&D/Flex/Light Industrial or Heavy Industrial - VACANT
Urban Mixed Use - Heather Stokes, Term expires 8/5/2017
Other - Steven Janes, Term expires 8/5/2018
PC Liaison - Daphne Spain
BOS Liaison - Norman Dill, Term expires 12/31/2016
|Web site for more information||N/A|
|Comments||Places29-North will focus on the Piney Mountain and Hollymead Neighborhoods|
Return to Boards & Commissions Page
Return to Board of Supervisors Page