COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Take a minute to share your thoughts about Albemarle County Boards and Commissions
|Board/Commission Name||5th & Avon Community Advisory Committee|
|Introduction/Overview/Duties||The Advisory Committees will provide assistance, feedback and input to County staff and the Board of Supervisors on community and county efforts related to implementation and support of the adopted Master Plan, in accordance with established county procedures. Advisory Committee members will communicate with their constituencies to increase understanding of and support for successful implementation of the Master Plan. The membership is broad-based to incorporate a variety of perspectives and ideas and to provide citizens, business people, and representatives of community groups a chance to be engaged and to be heard in a constructive and meaningful way.
The Committees will be a catalyst for helping foster a sense of community and work towards effective and efficient Master Plan implementation. Committees are a venue to discuss and provide comments on program and policy questions and/or proposals. Community Advisory Committees are an important venue for discussion and Committees can provide feedback and indicate preferences related to development proposals, although Committees do not have a legislative role in the development process.
1.Serve as liaisons
2. Gather input from constituencies represented and bring these issues to the attention of staff and the Committee, and distribute information from the Committee back to constituents.
3. Stimulate creative thinking in examining implementation issues and identify ways of using community resources to meet implementation needs and challenges.
4. Provide advisory input, comments, and information to the Board of Supervisors on new and emerging policies, projects, and programs as requested.
5. Maintain a forward-looking agenda with respect to adopted Master Plans and policies of the Board of Supervisors. Committee meetings are not the appropriate venue to oppose adopted policy.
6. Commit to support and work to implement the adopted Master Plan.
7. Work with Staff to provide an annual report of activities to the Board of Supervisors in accordance with the Board of Supervisors’ adopted Rules of Procedure for Boards and Commissions.
|Length of Term||Members will be appointed for either a 2 or 3 year term to stagger the transition of new members on and off the council. After initial appointments, terms will be for 2 years. While Members will be generally expected to serve no more than 2 terms, additional terms may be considered if desired and if the Board of Supervisors deems appropriate.|
|Frequency/Times for Meetings||All Committees will meet together as a group annually to focus on issues of common interest to development area communities and individual committees will meet several more times during the year as needed based on master plan implementation activity.|
|Membership||The Board of Supervisors shall appoint 12-15 members to the Committee. Each member shall be a resident of or business owner in Albemarle County and the member’s home or business shall be located within the Committee’s geographic area. An individual may not serve on more than one Community Advisory Committee. The representations for the Committee will strive to appoint members from a geographically diverse representation from the following:
• Residential neighborhoods
• Business community
• Institutional community
• Developer community
• Industrial community
• Southwood Village Mobile Home Park
• Woolen Mills
• Representative for trails and parks
• Other stakeholders as deemed appropriate by the Board
The Committee will have two Board of Supervisor liaisons and one Planning Commission liaison. Liaisons will be appointed based on magisterial districts within the Master Plan boundaries for the Committee – with representation by the Board of Supervisors from the Samuel Miller and Scottsville Districts and by the Planning Commission from the Samuel Miller or Scottsville Districts, or the At-Large member.
|Qualifications||No information available at this time|
|County Members/Term Expiration||Rex Linville, Term expires - 09/30/2019
Stuart Lowson, Term expires - 09/30/2018
Roger Schickedantz, Term expires - 09/30/2019
Brian Roy, Term expires - 09/30/2018
Ted Miller, Term expires - 09/30/2017
Christopher LeBlanc, Term expires - 09/30/2018
David Storm, Term expires - 09/30/2019
Jonathon Earl, Term expires - 09/30/2018
Craig Roller, Term expires - 09/30/2019
Stephanie Blanch, Term expires - 09/30/2018
Daniel Heuchert, Term expires - 09/30/2019
Amy Brereton, Term expires 09/30/2018
Glen Michael, Term expires - 09/30/2019
David Thomas, Term expires - 09/30/2018
Karen Davenport, Term expires - 09/30/2019
Karen Firehock, PC Liaison
Pam Riley, PC Liaison
Rick Randolph, BOS Liaison, Term expires - 12/31/2018
Liz Palmer, BOS Liaison, Term expires - 12/31/2018
|Web site for more information||N/A|
Return to Boards & Commissions Page
Return to Board of Supervisors Page